Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Rockies.

Took a trip to Jasper a couple weeks ago. It was nice and refreshing to take a drive and enjoy the scenery.

The first picture is Chief Mountain. It is the first definite mountain I always notice when I drive up the highway. It's called chief mountain because the natives would travel through the valley beside it when their chief would die, into the mountains, considered sacred (and they are), to bury him.

Take a look at the mountain. On the right, their is a shear cliff jutting up. That is his chin. If you go along the top from there, you see his profile, nose and forehead. Then as the mountain backs off down the other side, that is his head dress. The valley is on the right of the mountain and that is where the highway now goes as well. Growing up, mom would tell us the story every summer as we drove through this way on various adventures around western Canada.




This mountain is just one I thought was beautiful, I don't know it's name and can't remember on the trip where it came into play. I could see it perfectly through the valley, the fog creating mystery for me.


This is Mount Robson, I believe the tallest mountain in the region. I've never seen the top. Others have, and I've seen pictures of it, so apparently it exists. Every time (which has been often) I pass by, it is covered from me. Maybe one day....

This is a guy who was using the info center in front of Mnt. Rob as his own play area. Looks like fun.

2 comments:

Hope Walls said...

I ALWAYS have a clear day going past Mount Robson! How weird - I've never seen it covered lol

Unknown said...

Of COURSE you always see it. Ha ha!